The Present “Bangladesh Sweden Polytechnic Institute” as before “Sweden Bangladesh Institute of Technology” was established at Kaptai in 1963 in the name of the “Swedish Pakistani Institute of Technology”consequent upon a bilateral agreement between the Government of then Pakistan and the Royal Swedish Government.
A Swedish construction company named “SENTAB” was build the whole project on behalf of Royal Swedish Government .Two more institute of same type have been established under the same programme ; One in Landi near Karachi (In 1957) and one in Gujrat (in 1965) of West Pakistan.
The present institute at Kaptai was the result of the movement of “Bangali” students (aprox 30 ) who were studying at Karachi Institute in 1958. In that time it was very expensive to go Karachi by aero-plane for study .So they claim their demand to Mr.A.K.Khan the former minister of Industry of central government of Pakistan to establish an Institute in East Pakistan . After many meeting the minister agreed with them and pursued with the government to establish such type of institute at Kaptai.
The objective of its establishment is to train up Co-Engineers who work with professional engineers and scientists and in most of the cases; take up in-dependent responsibilities in production, installation, operation and maintenance of complex equipments. The Institute has actually planned its courses in the line of Polytechnic Institutes with additional facilities for practical training of greater magnitude so that the products of this institute can come out with a skill in certain specialized industrial process along with an understanding of the principles under-lying the processes.
The ultimate aim of this institute is to fill up the gap of specialized supervisors in mass production systems and to establish new specialized production units independently if they have sufficient financial back ground.
As per condition in the bilateral agreement, the Royal Swedish Government had provided part of the development and running costs are borne by the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the Swedish Technical Specialists had been withdrawn by 1970 when the date of bilateral agreement expired.
From the very inception of its establishment both administrative and academic activities of “Swedish Pakistani Institute of Technology” and than “Sweden Bangladesh Institute of Technology” were controlled by the Industries Division, Ministry of Industries, Labor and Social Welfare, Government of the then Pakistan and after Government of Bangladesh,. From 1969, this Institute has been placed under the academic control of Bangladesh Technical Education Board (former “East Pakistan Technical Education Board”). The Board conducts Examinations and awards Diploma-in Engineering to the successful candidates who already had their three years training program in this Institute.
The course and curriculum of this institute have been designed in the beginning in such a way that four departmental batches of students may come out successful in each year as specialized in Machine shop Technology, Electrical (Installation and Maintenance) Technology, Automobile Technology, and Industrial Wood Technology respectively.
Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Industrial Economics, Shop Management, Industrial Psychology, Human Relation, Technical English are also taught with the subjects of specialized technologies.
The Institute also render advisory services and technical know how to the growing industries and entrepreneurs by providing plans and designs and offering short term and evening courses.
After became “Bangladesh Sweden Polytechnic Institute” (1979) the other remaining department has been added as per following respective year :
In 1980- Department of Civil Technology.
In 2001- “Department of Civil Technology” and “Department of Wood
Technology” merge together and form “Department of Civil –Wood
In 2002- Department of Computer Technology
In 2006- Department of Construction Technology
|INSTITUTE_NAME||BANGLADESH SWEDEN POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE ,KAPTAI|